Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day Care, Parenthood and Mental Toughness...

So my son is starting Day Care today. Not full-time but Mama will be bringing him in just so he can get used to the environment and people. He starts full-time next week Tuesday. I think he’ll really enjoy it…he’s a very social kid and likes meeting people. One thing I'm afraid of is that Logan has discovered his vocal chords and screams when he’s excited every now and then. It’s not his fault, he’s a baby and doesn’t know any better but it can hurt your ear drums and drive you insane if you’re not used to it. Last week a couple friends came over with their babies. Logan was so excited he started screaming and it scared them! I’m glad he’s learning to voice his opinion and express himself, but I wish he didn’t do it so loudly…must be something he got from his Lolo & Dad

For some reason he also fights when changing his diaper. We don’t know why he suddenly started doing this. But instead of trying to force him to keep still, we just distract him with toys. Some days he keeps still during diaper changes, other days it is impossible to change his diaper without working up a sweat! Man is this kid strong..I can’t even hold him down with 1 arm. Sometimes I have to lie him on the floor and rest my leg on

I don’t know what to think of Logan going to Day Care. Part of me is happy because it gives Mama a break from being 100% provider (do Mom’s ever get a break from that?). It will also help Logan develop his social skills, teach him to interact with other kids and give him a change of scenery. The other part of me is a little cautious because after all, we’re leaving our baby boy with complete strangers. Will they know what he’s asking for? How will they react to his screaming and diaper changing revolt? I’m just hoping they teach him the right things, teach him well and give him the attention he deserves. I’ve heard so many horror stories about Day Cares, hopefully we picked a good one for him.

I really enjoy being a Dad in a weird way…well, it’s not weird at all. Parenthood is supposed to be something you enjoy. You have no choice so is there any point in wasting energy on negativity or fighting the fact that you’re a parent? Sure it has it’s ups & downs but there is no better feeling than coming home from work and seeing my boy’s face light up when he sees me. Nobody said parenthood was easy but at the same time, as a parent I think you owe it to your child to be the best parents you could possibly be. I’ve been attached to my boy since I saw him in the 1st ultrasound….like Tiger Woods said, one of the most amazing things about parenthood is how much you could love someone who’s been a part of your life for such a short period of time.

Part of being a parent is being prepared to be a parent. If you’re not ready for it, then you will have a difficult time because it requires A LOT of lifestyle adjustments…and that’s an understatement. However, if you prepare yourself mentally and you are “ready” to be a parent, then you will find the joy in it despite the lack of sleep LOL. I think people underestimate the importance of being mentally tough (this is something I hope to teach my son)…but that’s a whole different can of worms I'll open up another day.

But yah...how time flies...my baby is growing so fast before my eyes...*sigh*

No comments: